March 3, 2010

OH! MY BELOVED GRANNY SQUARE!



A BIT OF GRANNY SQUARE INFORMATION!

From Wikipedia A granny square is a CROCHET technique for producing square fabric by working in rounds from the center outward. Granny squares are traditionally handmade. They resemble coarse lace. Although there is no theoretical limit to the maximum size of a granny square, crocheters usually create multiple small squares (called "motifs") and assemble the pieces to make clothing, purses, Afghan blocks, and other household textiles.

Granny square apparel is a cyclical fashion that peaked in the 1970s. 
As Stitch and Bitch series author  Debbie Stroller describes:
If you grew up in the seventies, as I did, you might fear the granny square--if only because, for a while, clothing was made of nothing else. Granny square vests, granny square shorts, granny square hats. Heck, I bet there was some kid out there 
who was forced to go to school wearing granny square underwear.
Although, particular color and pattern schemes for granny squares change with time, this class of motif is a staple among crocheters. Multicolor granny squares are an effective way to use up small amounts of yarn left over from other projects and basic 
granny square motifs 
do not require advanced skills to execute.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THE GRANNY SQUARE!

It's simplicity can be stunning! You can work it as 'motifs' in various
forms and designs. You can make just one large square if you wish.
The design element of the 'Granny Square' are unlimited only by
your imagination!

I also love, love, love the granny square because of the
meditative, repetitive motion of making the
Granny Square! A simple large Granny Square can
supply endless hours of just being in the moment!
Not thinking, just being in a quite state of bliss!

CAN YOU TELL WHERE I'M GOING WITH THIS?

  I've been crocheting!
I love this color palette!
Noro colorways are insanely gorgeous!
I should add...
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE NORO YARN!

  I used twelve skeins and a size G hook!
It worked up into about a 43" square!

 I finished it off with about four to five
rows of single crochet around the
edges to give it a little weight.

MY NEXT PROJECT!

Fifteen Skeins of Noro~Kureyon Yarn!
Each skein holds it own beauty of color!

 
 The beginning of a new relationship!
As I pull from each skein it brings excitement as I work
because of the ever changing colorway!

If you enjoy the Granny Square; 
You might enjoy this ....

Allyson Mitchell has created a
masterpiece entitled
You will be AMAZED at what you see!

2 comments:

  1. Very pretty, both of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alice, thanks for all the info on granny sqaures...the examples you are showing are just....well, gorgeous. Can I ask you, is there a big difference between knitting and crocheting?? If you learn one, is it easy to pick up the other?? Thanks...

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and
having a cup of tea with me!